Kim Shattuck recorded live on May 31, 2012 in McG’s Backroom.
In this hour-long conversation*, Kim Shattuck (The Muffs, Pandoras, The Coolies) talks about photography, her dog Riley, creativity, songwriting with The Muffs, and her relationship with Pixies**.
Kim’s personality shines throughout this conversation. At the very end she remarks that it was a fun discussion. Going back and listening to this seven years after the fact, I felt the same way.
I’m guessing few people heard it at the time, so this is being put back into circulation. – McG, October 6, 2019
(*) Imagine you’re listening to this through a single speaker or a transistor radio; it’s a mono recording and lo-fi, but is audible.
(**) This interview references a 2009 gig when Kim S. filled in on bass with Pixies at the Winston Calling benefit show.
That show was several years before she joined Pixies in 2013 for a European tour, then subsequently dismissed from the band.
- Photography and creativity (0:00 – 10:29)
- Listening to music in mono (12:55 – 15:58)
- Kim’s dog Riley (15:59 – 19:45)
- The Beatles (19:45 – 24:13)
- Melodies and Kim’s songwriting (24:14 – 29:08)
- Kim on playing a benefit show with Pixies before she joined the band (29:09 – 37:46)
- The Muffs new record (circa 2012) and song demos (37:47 – 51:12)
- On the Pixies live (51:13 – 54:07)
- On Redd Kross (54:08 – 56:01)
- Her dog Riley’s injuries (56:02 – 59:36)
- The Kinks – I Need You 10:29
- The Beatles – I Want to Hold Your Hand – 20:58
- Pixies – Bam Thwok – 30:15
- Pixies – Manta Ray (BBC Session) – 49:00
- Kim Shattuck Photography (Flickr)
- Kim From the Muffs (Tumblr)
- The Muffs (Omnivore Records)